CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground > Basketball Recruits

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Ace Dilcock
Y Formation
PFW79
sporkgod50
AndersonCock
Lonnie
kick_ball
Master Bedroom
The Yancey
TigersFan32
2019 - Tayvion Robin (1331)
**USC (11-6) vs. Ken (624)
The Cord Cutting Que (266)
2019 - SF - Juwan Ga (252)
Beginner clubs (238)
PODCAST: The Spurs U (216)
SEC Conference Round (166)
2020 - Joshuah Moten (160)
NCAAB: KENTUCKY @ SO (129)
Soda Tax Sticker Sho (121)
2018 WBB - Destanni Hende
Kentucky is Next
NFL Playoffs
2018 MBB Zion Williamson
SEC Conference Roundup: F
Perfect Game 2018 Preseas
**USC (11-6) vs. Kentucky
The Cord Cutting Question
2018 - Rick Sandidge
2020 - Joshuah Moten

Old Today, 06:34 PM   #741
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: 2018 MBB Zion Williamson (SC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitolCock View Post
I don't follow basketball recruiting, and I really am a lazy basketball fan in general. Trying to be better about it because I really enjoyed last season.

That said, I think if Zion opts for Clemson over us, then he really isn't interested in winning. Clemson has no support on their roster to help him. We will at least have Bowen/Silva.

Although, I would imagine you could use the same argument for UNC/Duke/Kansas/Kentucky over us as well. If he wants to stay in SC and win, it would make no sense to go to Clemson. They're having a decent year, but it doesn't seem sustainable into next season.
His stepfather went to Clemson and played basketball so he's got a family tie there. They've also done a very good job recruiting him. Many kids make a college choice based on relationships, especially in Zion's case because wherever he goes he's only staying a year and going to be a top 5 pick regardless of making the tournament or not.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:38 PM   #742
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
His stepfather went to Clemson and played basketball so he's got a family tie there. They've also done a very good job recruiting him. Many kids make a college choice based on relationships, especially in Zion's case because wherever he goes he's only staying a year and going to be a top 5 pick regardless of making the tournament or not.
He is more worried about leaving behind some sort of impact/legacy and he knows he needs to stay in state to do that. Which ever school can sell him on that will get him, but he definitely has more friend/family connections to clemson. Any talk about him to SC is just to create a buzz for his decision, imo
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 PM   #743
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Master Bedroom View Post
He is more worried about leaving behind some sort of impact/legacy and he knows he needs to stay in state to do that. Which ever school can sell him on that will get him, but he definitely has more friend/family connections to clemson. Any talk about him to SC is just to create a buzz for his decision, imo
What do you make of his comments about potentially playing with Bowen then?
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:46 PM   #744
wildwes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5546
wildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPitwildwes rules the CockPit

This article & video details some Mojo going toward Zion commitment to the Gamecocks!

Video: https://www.clippituser.tv/c/llblqv

https://www.aseaofblue.com/2018/1/16...arolina-threat

However, it may not necessarily be Clemson and instead another Carolina school. During Monday’s Hoophall Classic, ESPN recruiting guru Paul Biancardi that Williamson would choose South Carolina.

“I think it’s a closer race between Clemson and South Carolina than most people think,” Biancardi said, via Next Cats. “It’s going to be one of those two schools. I’m picking South Carolina.”
Old Today, 06:50 PM   #745
Master Bedroom
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
I have no idea. I am sure that is enticing to him and I don't think he is lying. SC has been involved and had a legit shot but it seemed like his connections to clemson were too strong. Maybe Bowen was the deciding factor for him and he picks SC. It would be an outstanding get, but I won't get bent out of shape if he picks clemson either. I think he definitely stays in state
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 06:53 PM   #746
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material

Quote:
Build hype. You see it with recruits all the time when where they're leaning is a poorly kept secret, they make some comments that make people think it could be a different school then pick the poorly kept secret. I think that's far more likely to be the case than the possibility of Bowen coming here changing his mind though I can't rule it out because that would be an intriguing core and I'm sure Zion knows that. That said I'll believe he goes to some place that isn't Clemson when he actually makes that choice on the 20th, but it doesn't mean I'm not hoping for a great day for USC on the 20th.
Old Today, 06:54 PM   #747
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

AndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPitAndersonCock rules the CockPit

Bowen has reached out to Zion and if Zion is even somewhat undecided this could play a factor. I'd say we have about a 30% chance of getting him. Marquise Reed is very good for Clemson but next year we'll have Rah, Chris, Bowen, Kotsar and all the freshmen back plus a healthy Holden Zion wouldn't have to do everything like Ben Simmons did at LSU. Clemson will have upperclassmen next year but not NBA talent like we will in Bowen.
Old Today, 07:00 PM   #748
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

Gotrice? Where do you think Zion will go? I think it's between us and Moo U
Old Today, 07:05 PM   #749
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Why do you refuse to read the thread you've just posted in? He's only answered that question several times in it, before you asked......
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #750
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I'm just ready for this to be over. I'll be thrilled if he chooses us, but it will be ok if he doesnt. Not keen on him going to our biggest rival, but I don't think they'll be able to capitalize on his talent if he chooses them. Part of me keeps thinking he's keeping both SC schools on the hook to appease local fans, and then picks somewhere like Kentucky.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:09 PM   #751
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
I think he's Clemson. I do think Bowen may have opened up a tiny bit of hope but I'm 90/10 or 80/20 Clemson as of today. If he doesn't choose Clemson he will be a Gamecock, I'll be shocked if he goes out of state at this point.
Old Today, 07:12 PM   #752
AndersonCock
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Why do you refuse to read the thread you've just posted in? He's only answered that question several times in it, before you asked......
Shame on me for asking someone a question he said in a previous post that he thought Zion would go out of State.
Old Today, 07:16 PM   #753
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

Quote:
Shame on me for asking someone a question he said in a previous post that he thought Zion would go out of State.
Oh yeah a few months ago it looked like he was headed out of state, that's changed. Apparently his mom wants him instate and doesn't care which school, hence the last few months the instate focus has ramped up.