CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
carolina_corpsman
SanAntonioCock
kick_ball
Master Bedroom
Gamecocks1137
RGHoskins
TastyLicks
acejrock
SEC Network (710)
Married couple found (458)
Titty twisting and b (301)
10 College Football (164)
Watch the OJ Simpson (161)
Reminds me of my fir (101)
***The Open Champion (83)
Chester Bennington o (0)
10 College Football Head
2018 WBB - HoopGurlz (ESP
Holbrook to CofC
2018 - Trey Dean
Any one coming to College
***All Ur Base Are Belong
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
McGregor vs Mayweather is
Duce Staley team speach
Return game

Old 07-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #21
thekob
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material
Default Re: Need some parenting advice

We had a hell of a time with this when our daughter was younger. She'd wake up and come into our room and sleep the floor or something. I almost stepped on her head a couple times. We just had to keep enforcing that she had to stay in her room. She could turn the light on, play, etc if she wasn't tired. I had to hold her door closed with her screaming on the other side a couple of times. It was crazy, but we got through it. Protip: probably best to start this on a weekend or some night that the kid (or you) don't have to be up early the next day. We also give her a bit of melatonin to help her fall asleep sometimes, as awful as it sounds.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:35 PM   #22
thekob
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBC View Post
Did she sleep with you when she was a baby and/or toddler?

Meaning when she cried when she was little did you guys briing her to bed with you to comfort her so you and her could get some sleep?

I know several people who believed it was easier to get some sleep themselves if they gave in and just brought the baby to bed with them. Never let them 'cry it out' and learn to settle/comfort themseleves as little ones and then had a terrible time ever breaking the cycle. I know of two whose kid slept wth them into first grade...almost every night. Not cool!!

My son...now 17...was a terrible sleeper. Would cry...get out of the crib...bang on the door...screaming at the top of his lungs. We just had to ride it out. I would go get him in the morning and he would be sleeping against the door. We just never caved and by the time he was two it was over with. No issues...well not no issues but the sleeping thing wasn't one of them...there are always issues.

My daughter was simply never a problem. She slept through the night at about eight weeks and rarely had an issue since.

Sure they both slept in the bed from time to time but it was after they both learned to comfort and settle themselves as little ones.
This.

The only time our daughter gets to sleep in our room is during a thunderstorm, and even then it's mainly just a matter of us letting her sleep in our bed if she wakes up after her bedtime (8 o'clock) and then moving her into her bed when we're getting ready to go to sleep (10 or 11 o'clock). By that time, as long as the storms have past (like they did last night) she's so tired she doesn't care.
thekob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 12:40 PM   #23
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

I recommend reading, 'The Ins & Outs of Child Rearing' by Michael J Jackson.
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

My first piece of advice is to never seriously ask for advice on Cockytalk.

Second, don't trust 90% of parenting advice you get from friends and family. Every kid is different and someone's opinion on raising 1-3 unique individuals don't always pertain to you.

Third, grab the book Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #25
GamecockSuperFan
Gun N' Run

Male

CockyCash: 666
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

I did this growing up all the time til about 8 years old. I thought it was sort of common.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:39 PM   #26
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

CockyCash: 1000618
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
I recommend reading, 'The Ins & Outs of Child Rearing' by Michael J Jackson.
He was so committed to helping children with their bedtime habits, he named his child "Blanket".
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 05:07 PM   #27
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

Waiting for Mrs. uscgmck to get home. She has 30+ years with kids in several states and several applications. She knows her stuff. Hopefully she will be in touch soon. Watch for PM
Old 07-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #28
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material

Install a panic room?
Old 07-18-2017, 08:26 AM   #29
taylorssc
Raisinballin'

Male

CockyCash: 1000337
taylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot materialtaylorssc is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
Install a panic room?
this
taylorssc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 08:34 AM   #30
womfalcs3
Happiness is a choice

Male

CockyCash: 200
womfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot materialwomfalcs3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
Waiting for Mrs. uscgmck to get home. She has 30+ years with kids in several states and several applications. She knows her stuff. Hopefully she will be in touch soon. Watch for PM
Post her suggestions on here. I'm curious myself, seeing as we have a 4-year-old that is about to go through this.

We have steadily tried to get her to sleep in a separate bed. She wakes up in the middle of the night wanting one of us (the mother) to come over.

I'd rather not get her to yell and scream to get there. I want to maintain a level of trust between us.
womfalcs3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 09:00 AM   #31
spareparts
Hole in 1

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorssc View Post
this
I mean really, if I was awakened every night by a screeching child that had to be forcibly restrained, some people are describing it as a harrowing experience, something out of Stephen King, barring the door, this is insane... it sounds like The Omen
Old 07-18-2017, 01:13 PM   #32
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 0
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

2000. I think the overall answer from this thread is that every child is different. There are lot's of things to try, but no magic solution.

I have found that a lot of things with parenting is trial and error. No 2 kids will react the same way towards things. And even the same kid will react differently to things as they grow older.
Old 07-18-2017, 01:36 PM   #33
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 71500600
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

IMO, the answer is to never give in an allow them to sleep in your bed. We went through this with our 5 year old as well and everytime he would come in, we would take him back to his bed. He had to learn to work it out on his own without needing a parent to do it for him. It led to many fits of anger and crying to eventually when he learned that he was wasting his time, he quit coming in
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2017, 05:34 PM   #34
Y Formation
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 600
Y Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot materialY Formation is USC mascot material

Read to the child at bedtime. Until they fall asleep.

Keep tabs on what they eat and drink.
Y Formation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:15 AM   #35
rabid cock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10248
rabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot materialrabid cock is USC mascot material

This happened with our daughter when she was four. I mistakenly thought she could handle The Wizard of OZ, but she freaked out as bodies (and their accompanying parts) were strewn about in the "haunted forest" scene. When you think about it, picture yourself as a kid and watching your favorite character ripped in half in front of your eyes; she ran screaming from the room like a bat out of hell.

I was hesitant after that as to what she watched on TV. Anyway, she gradually grew out of it.
rabid cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:53 AM   #36
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1668234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

How many people on this thread actually have children? I can tell some of you do by responses but not so sure about others.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:09 AM   #37
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 0
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
How many people on this thread actually have children? I can tell some of you do by responses but not so sure about others.

Agree. Some f the responses you can tell they don't have kids.
Old Today, 11:06 AM   #38
uscgmck
I'm Baaacck

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material

The Mrs. said to tell you the following.

NO quick answer to your problem.
NO magic pill or formula.
Be prepared for a long journey but hope for a quick resolution.
Children develop at such different levels these days. Some will break habit quicker and some will take time.
One solution/fix/trial is simple to say but hard to do, each time you gain a bed mate take her back to her room tuck her in, give her a kiss and reassure her of the family love. Warning! This could keep you up all night if she is stubborn and keeps returning to your bed but over time this may break the cycle.

My daughter following in her Mothers footsteps has written a book about parents and children as soon as she moves to the area I will get her feedback too.

I hope this helps because we get it. Our solution was to loose sleep and return our son to his bed every time. It was exhausting but over a month or so it worked.

Remember EVERY child is different with different needs what works for one will not always work for another. I think God made them that was to test us.
Old Today, 12:09 PM   #39
TheUSCMike
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95000000
TheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot materialTheUSCMike is USC mascot material

We have a son and a daughter 4 years apart, they both did the same thing. i don't remember how old he was but he would come in and quietly get in bed with us in the middle of the night. After a short period of doing this he started bringing his blanket and sleeping on the floor next to our bed, then stopped coming at all. When we had the girl she did the exact same thing.
TheUSCMike is offline   Reply With Quote